4-H E-newsletter: September 13, 2017
- September 13: Deadline to submit Vermilion County 4-H Awards & Records, 5:30 p.m.
- September 15: 4-H Re-enrollment and New Member Enrollment Begins
- September 22-24: Family Camp at 4-H Memorial Camp
- September 23: 4-H Road Trip for Teens @ U of I
- September 23: 4-H Horse Workshop @ Steirwalt Farm, 3:00 p.m.
- September 27: Vermilion County 4-H Fair Review Meeting @ Vermilion County Extension Office, 7:00 p.m.
- September 28: 4-H Fall Leader Meetings for Champaign & Vermilion Counties
- Champaign County: @ Champaign County Extension Auditorium, 6:00 p.m.
- Vermilion County: @ DACC-Laura Lee Room, 6:30 p.m.
- September 30: Speaking for Illinois 4-H Event @ Boone County Extension Office, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- October 1-7: National 4-H Week
- October 4-15: 4-H Paper Clover Campaign @ Danville Tractor Supply Co.
- October 5: 4-H Volunteer e-Forum @ Champaign & Vermilion Co. Extension Offices, 6:00-7:30 p.m. (Dinner at 5:30 p.m.)
- October 13-15: 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Training @ 4-H Memorial Camp
- October 29: Champaign County 4-H Achievement Celebration @ Champaign-Urbana Elks Lodge, 3:00 p.m.
- November 2: 4-H Volunteer e-Forum @ Champaign & Vermilion Co. Extension Offices, 6:00-7:30 p.m. (Dinner at 5:30 p.m.)
- November 3: Danville Area Community College Family Science Night
- December 7: 4-H Volunteer e-Forum @ Champaign & Vermilion Co. Extension Offices, 6:00-7:30 p.m. (Dinner at 5:30 p.m.)
- January 12: Vermilion Co. 4-H Member Re-enrollment & Beef Project Enrollment Deadline
Thank you to all of the 4-H families that participated in the Vermilion County 4-H Fair Review Survey. We appreciate your feedback and will take your suggestions into consideration for future 4-H fairs.
Over half of the survey participants said they would like to attend an in-person meeting to discuss the 2017 Vermilion County 4-H Fair so we have scheduled the Fair Review Meeting for Wednesday, September 27 at 7:00 p.m. at the Extension Office (3164 N Vermilion St. Danville). We will base the agenda from the feedback we received through the survey. If you did not complete the survey and would like to add an item to be discussed at the meeting, please e-mail Kristin at email@example.com. This meeting is open to 4-H members, families, and volunteers.
Note: There were many comments pertaining to admission, non 4-H events, and vendors. Admission, parking, building maintenance, the grounds crew, the carnival, grandstand events, vendors, or open and junior shows will need to be directed to the Vermilion County Fair board, which is a separate entity. If you would like to contact the Vermilion County Fair board, please let Kristin know and she can forward their contact information.
Are you interested in enrolling in rabbits for a 4-H project? Vermilion County 4-H Alumni, Shyann Tallman is interested in selling her rabbit herd. If you are interested, contact Shyann at 217.474.4577.
Are you interested in enrolling in poultry for a 4-H project? An individual contacted the Extension Office that is interested in selling her exotic breed chickens. If you are interested, contact Linda Ware at 217.288.9240.
4-H Awards and Record Books Due Today for Vermilion Co.
All 4-H applications, nominations, and record books are located on our website. Click HERE to access more information.
The deadline to submit all applications and records to the Extension Office is TODAY 5:30 p.m. September 13, 2017. Late submissions will not be accepted. 4-H members will not be able to re-enroll until their club’s Secretary and Treasurer’s books are turned into the office. Typed Secretary Books can be e-mailed to Kristin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? E-mail Kristin or call the office at 217.442.8615.
- Congratulations for working through the first year of 4-H Online enrollment. Re-enrollment for the 2017-18 years will open September 15. The site will be closed from Sept. 1 – 14 so new projects can be added.
- National 4-H Week is Oct. 1-7. Illinois’ theme is Mission: Adventure – Join the Team | Change the World.
- Consider taking one of these NEW projects: Collectibles, Creative Writing, Coding in Visual Programming Languages, Coding in Text Based Programming Languages, Seeing i2i—Adventures in Diversity and Cultural Awareness, Free Range Robotics, 3-D Printing & Design, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Fiber Arts, Stained Glass Projects, Duct Tape Crafts, Paper Crafts, and Getting Started in Art (beginner level).
- Invite a friend to your next 4-H club meeting!
4-H Cooking 101 Class at Oakwood Public Library
Vermilion County 4-H will be providing an after-school Cooking 101 class for youth ages 8-18 at the Oakwood Public Library September 20 (12:30-1:45 p.m. school is out early this day), September 27, and October 4 from 3:15-4:30 p.m. Space is limited so make sure to register early! To register, contact the Oakwood Public Library at email@example.com or 217.354.4777.
WHEN: Saturday, September 23 at 3:00 p.m.
WHAT: The workshop will cover basic horse health, signs of illness/lameness, and basic first aid. Workshop will be led by Dr. Linda Harmon-Dodge.
WHO: Current and interested 4-H members with all levels of horse knowledge can attend!
WHERE: Stierwalt Farm, 738 CR 900 E, Tolono, IL
There is no charge for this event. Please register by September 18th! We hope to see you there! Click HERE to register!
Celebrate National 4-H Week With a Window Display
Paw Events at Danville TSC
Danville Tractor Supply Company is hosting a Paw Event on September 16 and October 7 and is requesting 4-H members to bring their livestock and other 4-H projects to the event for display. Click HERE to find out more about the event. Please contact Ryce at TSC if you would like to participate at 217.431.5756.
4-H Paper Clover at TSC Start October 4
Each spring and fall, Tractor Supply raises money for 4-H programs with the Paper Clover Campaign, a national in-store fundraiser that benefits 4-H programming. The 2017 Fall Paper Clover Campaign will take place October 4-15.
In store participation is key to a successful campaign! All 4-H clubs are encouraged to contact our local TSC Store in Danville to setup a time to assist customers with store purchases or have a booth to promote your 4-H club. This would be a great time to recruit new members and even ask if your club can have your window display on during National 4-H Week.
Other ideas to on how to collaborate with TSC include:
- Hold fundraisers at your local TSC during holidays!
- Valentine's Day: Sell or donate Valentine's Day cards made by 4-H members
- July 4th: Sell hot dogs and hamburgers
- Fall: Carving pumpkins to sell
- Winter Holidays: Set up a gift-wrapping table (this would be great for 4-H clubs that do not have a treasury!)
- Set up educational livestock clinics in the parking lot of your local TSC store.
Ask your store about using your local TSC as a potential meeting site, field trip, or exhibition location.
If your club is interested in having an event at TSC, contact Ryce at the Danville TSC to discuss options and to make sure they have space to accommodate your club at 217.431.5756. Ask her about how your club can enter the Paper Clover Participation Sweepstakes to earn a gift card for your club.
Champaign County 4-H Achievement Celebration
Champaign County 4-H members, families, and volunteers should save the date for the Achievement Celebration on October 29 at 3:00 p.m. The event will be at the Champaign-Urbana Elks Lodge.
Both Champaign and Vermilion County 4-H Fall Leader Meetings will take place on Thursday, September 28. Champaign County leaders will meet at 6:00 p.m. in the Champaign County Extension Auditorium and Vermilion County leaders will meet at 6:30 p.m. at Danville Area Community College in the Laura Lee Room located in Lincoln Hall. Leaders that are unable to attend should have a co-leader attend or contact 4-H staff to setup an alternate meeting time.
Shooting Sports Volunteer Training Oct. 13-15
Adults interested in teaching the shooting sports hobby to young people should attend the fall adult volunteer certification training for the Illinois 4-H Shooting Sports program Oct. 13-15 at 4-H Memorial Camp in Monticello. Volunteers must be at least 21 years of age. Cost is $125.
Volunteers must register through their local U of I Extension office. Check in begins at 6 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 13. The training ends at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 15. Volunteers must be present for all hours of the training to receive their certification.
There are six concentrations of study, and volunteers must choose only one discipline to attend per session. These include archery, rifle, shotgun, pistol, and hunting and wildlife, as well as the overall county coordinator training. Remember, volunteers will work with their local Extension 4-H staff to establish or add to an existing shooting sports program in the county. Learn more about the Illinois 4-H Shooting Sports program at: https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/programs/shooting-sports.
4-H Shooting Sports Coordinator Needed For Vermilion County
Marsha Mohr has done a fantastic job serving as our Vermilion County 4-H Shooting Sports Coordinator for over three years. However, Marsha is ready to pass the torch on to another willing volunteer to lead this active club. In order for our shooting sports club to meet, we must have a trained coordinator so we are asking a new volunteer to step up to take on this role. This volunteer must be able to attend training this fall, October 13-15. For more details, contact Kristin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217.442.8615.
Attend the Volunteer e-Forum
4-H volunteers are invited to the 2017 National 4-H Volunteer e-Forum! Join us and get energized as you network with volunteers, county-based staff, and state specialists from across the country! Leave with new ideas you can use to grow 4-H in your community. This training is applicable for adult volunteers and teen leaders alike.
Each session will be held from 6-7:30 p.m. and include dinner (5:30 p.m.) If you have any dietary restrictions, please contact your local Extension office to let us know. You do not have to attend all of the sessions; you can choose what sounds exciting to you or the dates that work best!
October 5, 2017 – 6:00-7:30 PM
Cultivating an Environment for Growing True Leaders
This session will help volunteers create environments that encourage growth and opportunity. Presenters will share activities that demonstrate positive youth development and foster life skills.
November 2, 2017 – 6:00-7:30 PM
“STEM”ming into Animal Science, Growing True Leaders
Gain resources to incorporate Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) leaders through traditional animal sciences project areas in communities. During this session, volunteers will gain ideas for planning and organizing fun, educational session for youth.
December 7, 2017 – 6:00-7:30 PM
Helping 4-H’ers Grow in Life & Work
In 4-H, youth can explore their future, develop life skills and expand their interests. Join us during this session to share ideas and see a variety of successful programs and receive resources to use immediately. Together, caring adults can help all young people make decisions and create their own positive future.
Click HERE to register.