As many of you know, The University has adopted Canvas as the campus-supported learning management system to replace Illinois Compass (Blackboard Learn). Emily Knox and the iSchool Technology staff hosted two Zoom information sessions about the iSchool’s transition steps earlier this Spring. Highlights of the reasons from those sessions include:
- Feature set
- Ease of use
- Aligning with other units on campus for a single LMS.
Based on the responses from the feedback survey, we are excited to begin a transition this Fall. There is no need for faculty to switch immediately but for those who are interested, we are here to help with the new LMS and envision the following timeline:
- Summer 2021: Training, course building, optional migration of existing course spaces
- Fall 2021: Early adopters which could include all undergraduate IS courses (also testing training for those interested but not ready to transition yet)
- Spring 2022: An opt-out period where most graduate level courses transition over
- Summer 2022 and Beyond: All iSchool courses on Canvas
What Can I Do Now?
If you would like to be an early adopter on Canvas OR would like a demo space and training this Summer to prepare or help you decide, please fill out this form so we may coordinate details with you.
Sandbox spaces are available now and we hope Fall production spaces will be available soon.
Canvas Wiki Page
There is a Canvas page on the iSchool Wiki with links to the Campus transition site, training materials, and more.
Canvas Training and Support
The iSchool ITD team will offer one-on-one training and be able to offer assisstance importing content and creating course spaces on Canvas.
- It will be possible to port over content from Moodle to Canvas
- We will have placeholder spaces on Moodle pointing to Canvas course content for migrated courses.
- We plan on having discussions with faculty on archiving our legacy Moodle content.
For questions or concerns, please contact the help desk.