GROUP FITNESS NEWS | ISSUE #22
We have made it to the end of Group Fitness Free Week. While things may look a little different this semester, we’re glad to have so many of our #ActiveILLINI back on campus! Here in Campus Recreation, we remain committed to providing opportunities for our students, faculty, staff, and community patrons to access the wellness resources they need to thrive. We appreciate the flexibility and patience of our wonderful participants and dedicated instructors as we navigate our safe return to group fitness.
As always, we encourage you to reach out to us if you have thoughts about how we at Campus Rec can continue to foster a sense of community or ideas for resources we can provide during this time. If you have questions or concerns about Campus Recreation re-opening procedures, be sure to consult our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Face masks will be required at ALL TIMES when using Campus Recreation facilities. Masks are required even while exercising.
- Masks are required on the pool deck; however, you may remove your mask upon entry to the water. When you exit the water, you must put your mask back on.
- When outdoors, masks are required if you are sharing equipment of any kind OR when social distance of six feet cannot be maintained.
- Exhalation valve masks & face shields will not be permitted.
- In the event someone says they cannot wear a mask, the following is where we should refer them:
Students need to work with DRES (217.333.4603)
Employees need to work with the Office for Access & Equity (217.333.0885)
FALL GROUP FITNESS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
As you settle into your fitness routine, keep in mind that Campus Rec now offers a variety of ways for you to “find your fit”, including:
- In-person indoor classes, held at the ARC
- In-person outdoor classes, held at the ODC basketball courts (weather permitting)
- Live-streamed Les Mills classes, held at the ARC
- Virtual classes, held via Zoom
Our updated group fitness class policies and full group fitness schedule (including virtual offerings) can be found here.
Now that Free Week has concluded, all participants will need to purchase a group fitness pass at the ARC Member Services Desk and book their spot using the online reservation system to attend in-person and virtual group fitness classes. We recommend familiarizing yourself with the online reservation system well in advance of attending a class to ensure a smooth process.
If you encounter any issues, please reach out to our stellar Member Services team!
WEEKLY WELLNESS: MANAGING STRESS AND ANXIETY
The Mayo Clinic recommends incorporating the following five elements into your regular exercise routine: aerobic activity, strength training, core exercises, balance training, and flexibility/stretching. The workout plan included below incorporates a variety of formats that will allow you to meet these goals. Just pick the combination of workouts that work for you!
View this week’s workout plan
MUSIC TO MOTIVATE YOUR WORKOUT
A QUICK BITE FROM THE INSTRUCTIONAL KITCHEN
As you arrive to campus and begin to form your healthy routines, make it a habit to fuel your day with an energy-boosting, protein-rich breakfast! For a vegan twist on a breakfast classic, consider making this Sunny Tofu Scramble. Tofu is a complete protein and is also a great source of iron and calcium!
And if you’re looking for eggs and meat, did you know that you can buy both on the University of Illinois campus? Check out the Illinois ACES Meat Sales Room to place an online order for meat or eggs!