The University Library’s faculty includes librarians who are knowledgeable about various disciplines. These individuals can serve as your primary contacts within the Library. They can help you identify and acquire materials to support your teaching or research, connect you with other experts in the Library and on campus, and introduce you and your students to strategies for exploring the information landscape in your discipline.
To find a subject specialist in your area, consult:
Or, visit the website of a relevant departmental library. For a list of the libraries on campus, see:
Your subject specialist librarian can:
- Work with your students to improve their research skills and help them become independent critical thinkers.
- Meet with your classes to lead sessions focused on specific assignments or create library guides that provide instructional resources for your students.
- Help you with your own searches for information related to your research and teaching.
- Connect you to experts in the Library who will assist you in developing data management plans, conducting research with data, or digitizing content.
- Show you how to include your scholarship in IDEALS, the University’s digital repository.
- Help you discover special collections at Illinois (or elsewhere) that might complement your research or support the needs of graduate students working with you.
- Receive your recommendations of books, journals, and other resources for the Library to acquire.
- Answer your questions about the Library.
Still not sure which librarian is yours? Contact the Ask-a-Librarian service for a referral:
- The International and Area Studies Library has experts, fluent in multiple languages, that can help you navigate research materials related to African Studies; East Asian Studies; European Union Studies; Global Studies; Latin American and Caribbean Studies; Middle East and North African Studies; Russian East European and Eurasian Studies; and South Asian Studies.
- Illinois librarians have a global reach and may be able to help you make connections to scholars and communities worldwide. The Illinois Global Connections Map provides a visual representation of the Library’s international impact through travel and is meant to facilitate connections with colleagues who have visited particular locations abroad.
The Library is home to a growing number of experts who specialize in working with scholars to integrate the use of digitally-intensive research technologies and services into their research.
Not sure which of these categories your question falls into? Contact the Scholarly Commons: