Governor's Budget Address
On Feb. 14, Gov. Bruce Rauner outlined his budget proposal for fiscal year 2019 (FY19). The proposal includes $500 million in capital funding to match private donations for a new statewide research enterprise led by the University of Illinois System. The Discovery Partners Institute and Illinois Innovation Network are being developed to accelerate innovation, job creation and economic growth. The governor’s budget also recommends appropriations for the U of I System at the current level of $583 milllion, and appropriations for MAP at the current level of $401.3 million. The system has requested appropriations of $681 million for FY19, and continues to advocate for the Investment, Performance, and Accountability Commitment (IPAC). The groundbreaking proposal would provide predictable state funding for five years in exchange for measurable performance standards that serve the needs of Illinois students and the state.
The Office of Governmental Relations tracks all bills in the General Assembly that would affect the U of I System, if passed, and a complete list can be found here. For a list of bills supported by the system, visit this link.
- Nearly 250 current students and alumni met with Illinois legislators on Feb. 28 to advocate for the U of I System during its annual Day at the Capitol in Springfield. The afternoon-long event also included the U of I System’s first-ever Statehouse rally, featuring speeches in the Capitol Rotunda by legislators, a student and a graduate.
- The Student Advocacy Coalition at the University of Illinois at Chicago hosted a Feb. 12 gubernatorial forum on higher education. One Democratic candidate for governor and three Democratic lieutenant governor candidates attended the forum.
- The University of Illinois at Springfield co-hosted a Feb. 28 debate featuring five Democratic candidates running in the primary race for Illinois governor.
- Illinois Connection and the Office of Governmental Relations co-sponsored a game-watch party on Feb. 20 in Springfield for staff, alumni and members of the General Assembly as the Fighting Illini played the Michigan State Spartans.
- In conjunction with Illinois Connection, the Office for Governmental Relations hosted 12 members of our U of I Caucus for a Jan. 31 breakfast to kick off the 2018 legislative session. During the meeting, President Tim Killeen presented the U of I System’s legislative agenda and FY19 appropriations. Vice President for Economic Development and Innovation Ed Seidel also shared plans for the Discovery Partners Institute and Illinois Innovation Network.
- 3/20: Primary Day
- 3/25: Latino Caucus event at UIC
- 4/11: Ag Day Breakfast in Springfield
- 4/17: U of I Caucus Dinner
- 4/26: U of I Undergraduate Research Day, Statehouse
100th General Assembly Calendar