4-H E-newsletter: March 27, 2018
- March 28: Champaign Co. Dog Obedience Class Orientation @ Champaign Co. Extension Auditorium, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- March 28: Vermilion Co. 4-H Dog Obedience Orientation @ Vermilion Co. Extension Office, 6-7 p.m.
- April 4: Champaign County Livestock Committee Meeting @ Champaign Co. Extension Conference room, 7 p.m.
- April 6: Deadline to Submit Beck’s Hybrids Educational Scholarship Applications
- April 7: Public Presentation Contest for Champaign, Ford, Iroquois, and Vermilion Co. 4-H Members @ Tony Noel Center – Parkland College @ 9 a.m.
- April 7: Foods Demonstrations Contest for Champaign & Vermilion Co. 4-H Members @ Tony Noel Center –Parkland College @ 1 p.m.
- April 7: Regional Horse Bowl & Hippology Contest @ Casey Church of the Nazarene, Casey, IL
- April 7: Champaign Co. Horse Project Workshop @ Fox Hollow Farm, 1-3 pm
- April 7: 4-H Rabbit Workshop @ Crescent City Grade School, 1-3 p.m.
- April 11-22: Spring Paper Clover @ Danville Tractor Supply Co.
- April 13: New Member & Project Add/Drop Deadline
- April 14: 4-H Beef Clinic @ Buddy Edenburn’s Farm, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- April 16: Deadline to submit Champaign County Extension Foundation Scholarship to Extension office by 4:30 p.m.
- April 18: Vermilion Co. 4-H Federation Meeting @ Vermilion Co. Office, 6:30 p.m.
- April 21: State 4-H Horse Speaking Contest @ U of I Campus
- April 25: Champaign Co. 4-H Spring Leader Meeting @ Champaign Co. Extension Auditorium, 7 p.m.
- April 26: Vermilion Co. 4-H Spring Leader Meeting & Volunteer Appreciation Dinner @ Vermilion Co. Extension Office, 5:30 p.m. (Dinner) & 6:15 p.m. Meeting
- April 28: National 4-H Day of Service (service projects can be done anytime during the month of April)
- April 28: State Horse Judging Contest @ Black Hawk College, 11 a.m.
- May 1: Vermilion Co. 4-H Deadline to Submit 4-H Horse Ownership/Leasing Paperwork to the Extension Office.
- May 5: 4-H Robotics Showcase @ Macon County Extension Office, 1-4 p.m.
- May 15: Vermilion Co. 4-H Livestock Committee Meeting @ Vermilion Co. Extension Office, 7 p.m.
- May 16: Vermilion Co. 4-H Federation Meeting @ Vermilion Co. Office, 6:30 p.m.
- May 28: Champaign & Vermilion Co. Extension Offices Closed for Memorial Day
- June 1: Deadline for 4-H Members to Complete Animal Ethics Course (QAEC)
- June 1: Champaign Co. 4-H Deadline to Submit 4-H Horse Ownership/Leasing Paperwork to the Extension Office.
- June 1: Deadline to Submit Vermilion Co. 4-H Clothing & Textiles Show Entries & 4-H Fair Entries
- June 9: Vermilion Co. 4-H Clothing & Textiles and Fashion Revue Show @ Danville Area Community College, 10 a.m.
- June 14: Vermilion Co. 4-H Livestock Pen Setup @ Vermilion Co. Fairgrounds, 6 p.m.
- June 15: Champaign 4-H Dog Show @ Dog Training club of C-U, 6 p.m.
- June 19-23: Vermilion Co. 4-H Fair
- June 27: Champaign 4-H Clothing & Textile Show @ Savoy United Methodist Church, 1 p.m.
- June 24-28: Illini Summer Academies
- July 20-28: Champaign Co. 4-H Fair
The Champaign and Vermilion Co. 4-H E-newsletter will now be published montly instead of bi-weekly. 4-H Staff will be sending out more frequent e-blast with important updates in between the monthly e-news. We wanted everyone to be aware of the changes. If you have any questions, please contact your County 4-H Coordinator. Thank you!
Thank-you to Vermilion Co. 4-H Federation for hosting the 4-H Bowling Party on March 3 and the countywide community service project Meal Packaging Event on March 17. Between both events, there was nearly 120 participants. Thank you to all the 4-H Members, Cloverbuds, Leaders, and Parents that attended making it an enriching experience!
4-H Dog Training Orientations Tomorrow
March 28 @ Champaign Co. Extension Auditorium, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Do NOT bring your dogs to this meeting. Anyone interested in 4-H dog obedience should attend this meeting. All required paperwork needs to be turned in at the meeting (registration, risk and medical forms, ownership papers, proof of vaccinations).
Please contact Jen Odle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815.268.4051 with any questions.
The Vermilion Co. 4-H & K9s Club will have their dog training orientation on Wednesday, March 28 at 6 p.m. at the Vermilion Co. Extension Office. 4-H members who are already enrolled in the dog project or members that are interested in finding out more should attend. Do NOT bring your dogs to this meeting.
4-H Members that enroll in the dog project have two exhibit opportunities:
- Show at the Vermilion County Dog Show, June 23
- Exhibit a display at the Vermilion County 4-H General Projects Show, June 19
Note: Members enrolled in Dog that choose to exhibit a live animal and participate in the Vermilion County 4-H Dog Show must attend dog obedience classes taught by a qualified instructor and accomplish the level of competency expected by the instructor to participate in the County 4-H Dog Show. All required paperwork must be submitted by April 4. Dogs cannot participate until required paperwork is on file.
Champaign County 4-H Livestock Judging Practices
Champaign Co. Livestock Judging Practices are Tuesdays: April 3 & 17, from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Champaign County Extension Office (801 N Country Fair Dr., Champaign). For more information, contact Amy at email@example.com or 217.333.7672.
- BECK’S HYBRIDS EDUCATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP
One $500 scholarship is available for Vermilion Co. 4-H members who are 2018 high school graduates. Applications can be picked up at the Vermilion Co. Extension Office or downloaded from the website. Click here to access the application.. Applications are due April 6, 2018.
Who is eligible:
- The scholarship is available to a 2018 high school graduate who has been actively involved in Vermilion Co. 4-H for a minimum of three years.
- The applicant must have been accepted into and plan to attend a junior college, tech school, or a four (4) year university in fall 2018.
- The applicant must have held a minimum of one club officer or leadership position during their 4-H career.
- Champaign County Extension Education Foundation Scholarship
For the academic year beginning 2018, the Champaign Co. Extension Education Foundation of Champaign County, Illinois, will be awarding one or more $1,000 scholarships to residents of Champaign Co. More information and application available on the website: click here to access the application. Applications are due by Monday, April 16, 2018.
- EXTENSION TO ACES SCHOLARSHIP
Incoming freshmen and transfer students to University of Illinois College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences may apply for a NEW $2,500 scholarship. This year, 54 scholarships (two per each of Extension’s 27 units) will be awarded. To learn more @ aces.illinois.edu/scholarships/new-students. Click on “Incoming freshmen and incoming transfer students scholarship application.” In Step #2, select “Extension to ACES” scholarship. Questions? Your local Extension staff can help you! Just ask us.
4-H Public Presentations Contest
4-H Members in Champaign, Ford, Iroquois and Vermilion Counties who are enrolled in the communication project, Public Presentations, are invited to take part in the Public Presentations Contest Saturday, April 7, 2018. It will be held at the Tony Noel Center at Parkland College, Champaign. Check-in starts at 9:00 AM and presentations will begin at 9:30 AM. Presentations will be judged for ribbon placings as well as awards for class overall winners. Selections will also be made for county representatives to advance to the State 4-H Public Presentation Contest June 9. Members may choose to present in more than 1 class. Detailed presentation requirements can be found in your local county show book (handbook). 4-H Members can register online, or contact their local office to make their entries. Click here to make entries online. Entries must be made by March 30.
Champaign Co. Public Presentations Guidelines
Vermilion Co. Public Presentation Guidelines
4-H Food Demonstrations Contest
4-H Members in Champaign and Vermilion Counties who are enrolled in a Foods Project are invited to take part in the Foods Demonstrations Saturday, April 7, 2018. It will be held at the Tony Noel Center at Parkland College, Champaign. Check-in starts at 1 p.m. and presentations will begin at 1:30 p.m. Demonstrations will be judged for ribbon placings as well as awards for class overall winners. Members may choose to present in more than 1 class. Detailed demonstration requirements can be found in your local county show book (handbook). 4-H Members can register online, or contact their local office to make their entries. Click here to make entries online. Entries must be made by March 30.
Champaign Co. Food Demonstration Guidelines
Vermilion Co. Food Demonstration Guidelines
Tips for Food Demonstrations Guide
The Iroquois Rabbit Breeders Association is hosting a 4-H Rabbit Project Workshop and 1st Year Member Rabbit Giveaway on April 7 from 1-3 p.m. at the Crescent City Grade School Gym.
The workshop will focus on helping 4-H members enrolled in the rabbit project for the first time but all 4-H members interested in rabbits are welcome to attend. Topics include: equipment needs, breeds of rabbits, feed, care of rabbits, tattooing, rabbit organizations, and showing rabbits at the fair.
At the conclusion of the workshop, we will hold a rabbit giveaway. All first year rabbit project 4-H members are eligible to participate in the giveaway. Rabbits donated by members of our club will be given to 4-H’ers who don’t have any rabbits. Ford and Iroquois County members will have first choice.
If you have questions please contact Darrel Clatterbuck (Iroquois County) 815.486.7481 or Roger Wycoff (Ford County) 815.686.2555.
WHEN: Saturday, April 7, 1:00 pm-3:30 pm
WHAT: Interactive workshop covering the basics of barefoot trimming led by Ida Hammer and Elizabeth Lewis. Following the workshop we will have a riding practice (with your own horse). Bring your HELMET!
WHO: Current and interested 4-H members with all levels of horse knowledge!
WHERE: Fox Hollow Farms, 1779 CR 1550 N, Urbana, IL
Click here to register!
Vermilion County 4-H Beef Superintendent Buddy Edenburn will be hosting a Beef Clinic from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. on April 14 (please note the clinic had to be rescheduled). Topics covered will include: washing, blow drying, clipping, and fitting your animal for show. Lunch will be provided. Please register by April 12 so there is an accurate count for lunch. Click here to register or call the office at 217.442.8615. All 4-H members, regardless of county membership are welcome to attend.
All high school age 4-H members are invited to attend. Federation is planning some fun events for all 4-H members this year. If you want to have a part in planning these events, join Federation! For more information, contact Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217.333.7672.
Vermilion Co. 4-H Federation will be meeting the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the Extension Office (April 18 is the next scheduled meeting). All high school age 4-H members are invited to attend. For more information, contact Kristin at email@example.com or 217.442.8615.
If you plan to exhibit sheep or goats at the Illinois State Fair, they must be tagged and weighed at one of the official locations. Please register by calling the number listed below if you plan to bring animals. The locations closest to Champaign & Vermilion Co. are:
- April 21: Ed Hanson Farm near Clifton, 3034 N. 700E. Rd., 815-545-7287, 9-11:30 a.m.
- April 28: McLean County Fairgrounds, 309-663-8306 , 9 a.m.-Noon
- May 5: Coles County Fairgrounds, 217-493-5005, 10:30 a.m.- Noon
- May 12: Illinois State Fairgrounds, 217-415-2924, 9-11:30 a.m.
Click here for a full list of details.
Macon County Extension Office, May 5, 2018, 1-4 pm
Open to all youth robotics teams, classes, clubs and groups in the area. Click here to register by April 13, 2018. For additional information, contact Brittani at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217.877.6042
Animal Ethics Certification Required for Members Taking 4-H Animal Projects
All 4-H members enrolled in an animal project area are required to complete the online Quality Assurance and Ethics course one time in order to stay enrolled in an animal project area.
The certification must be completed by June 1 if you are enrolled in one of the following projects: beef, dairy, cats, dogs, goats, horses, poultry, rabbits, sheep, swine, and small pets. Members who don’t complete the certification before the show will be removed from the project and not be allowed to show. Anyone who has already taken the certification does not need to retake the test. The local office has a list of those already certified. The website is located online at: http://web.extension.illinois.edu/qaec/ . This rule applies to 4-H members who exhibit live animals AND poster exhibits.
4-H Livestock Birth & Ownership Deadlines
4-H members enrolled in livestock projects can access the 4-H Livestock Ownership dates and deadlines online, click here. If you have questions, contact your local Extension Office.
4-H Livestock Health Requirements for County & State Fairs
4-H members enrolled in livestock project can access the health requirements provided by the Illinois Department of Agriculture for Illinois county and state fairs on our website. If you have questions, contact your local Extension Office.
County Fair Requirements
State Fair Requirements
Step Up on National 4-H Day of Service
4-H members do service better than everyone else! Join us for National 4-H Day of Service Saturday, April 28. Can’t make it April 28? That’s okay; plan something for any day in April.
Here’s how to participate:
- Go to https://4-h.org/get-involved/true-leaders-in-service/ and register your event.
- Go to illinois.edu/4Hservice and find helpful resources.
- Do your event and promote on social media using #thats4H and #TrueLeaders.
- Go to illinois.edu/4Hservice after your event and submit a report on what you did. We’d love to see your photos, too.
The goal of National 4-H Day of Service is to encourage 4-H members in every county to make a positive difference. Service projects can be done by individuals or as an entire county 4-H program. No matter what the project, this will be a day to make a difference.
Vermilion Co. 4-H Federation Club Grants
Vermilion Co. 4-H clubs with a treasury are encouraged to apply for a 4-H Federation Club Grant if they are in need of funds for a club tour/trip, a community service project, equipment and supplies, or another educational club project. Application are simple to complete and can be found downloaded online. Click here to download the application.
Champaign County 4-H Leaders should save the date for the spring meeting on Wednesday, April 25 at 7:00 p.m. at the Extension office. We will be going over summer show deadlines and dates in addition to the fair entry process, which will be through Fair Entry (NO PAPER FORMS THIS YEAR). We will also be reviewing the 4-H Records for Achievement Celebration so if you have any possible edits please bring them up here. Click here to RSVP.
Please save the date for Thursday, April 26, 2018 for the Vermilion Co. Spring Leader Meeting & Volunteer Appreciation Dinner. Federation will serve a meal for all leaders from 5:30-6:00 p.m. and we will start our meeting at 6:15 p.m. We will plan to have the meeting at the Extension Office unless we do not have enough space depending on RSVP. Please RSVP to Kristin by April 6 and let her know if you have any dietary restrictions. If you have any requests to cover at the meeting, please let Kristin know and she will add it to agenda. RSVP to email@example.com or 217.442.8615.