U of I Appropriations Hearings
On Tuesday, April 5, University of Illinois System leadership was in Springfield to present the system's fiscal year 2019 budget request to the Senate Appropriations II Committee. President Tim Killeen, Executive Vice President Barb Wilson, and the three university chancellors responded to many questions from senators regarding the appropriations request. A week later, system leadership returned to the State Capitol to present the budget request to the House Higher Education Appropriations Committee.
Illinois Equal Opportunity Bridge Program
The Illinois Equal Opportunity Bridge Program (H.B. 5696) was approved by the House Higher Education Committee on Thursday, April 12. The bill, sponsored by committee Chairman Emanuel Chris Welch and cosponsored by Urbana Rep. Carol Ammons, would create a bridge program to expand college opportunities for underrepresented students. The program would provide access, academic support and financial aid to students who show promise for succeeding in college but may not have otherwise been offered admission.
The Office of Governmental Relations tracks all bills in the General Assembly that would affect the U of I System, if passed, and a complete list can be found here. For a list of bills supported by the system, visit this link.
- Students from Urbana-Champaign's Graduate College partnered with students from the University of Leuven in Belgium to visit Springfield on April 5 and learn about state government in America. Students toured the Capitol and met with staff from the House Higher Education Appropriations Committee.
- Students from Urbana's Student Advocacy Coalition visited the Capitol on April 11 to meet with legislators and express their support for the University of Illinois System. Students met with Illinois State Representatives Christian Mitchell, William Davis, Laura Fine, Kelly Burke, and Dan Brady.
- 4/24: Siebel Center for Design groundbreaking
- 4/26: U of I Undergraduate Research Day, Statehouse
- 5/17: U of I Board of Trustees Meeting, Springfield
100th General Assembly Calendar