LIBRARY TIP OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER
The Library has a wealth of information for those who teach at Illinois. Librarians partner with instructors to teach with library resources, create course and subject guides, and identify library materials for classes.
How can the Library help instructors?
- Want to help your students improve their research skills and learn how to critically evaluate sources? Our librarians, with expertise in areas from accounting to zoology, can partner with you by developing library guides, designing and testing library research assignments, or teaching a session for your course. Contact a subject specialist librarian or email email@example.com to get help identifying the right librarian to work with.
- Request a Savvy Researcher Workshop session for your class, research group or faculty meeting, or direct your students to a regularly-scheduled session where they can learn more about advanced topics such as citation management, digital publishing or data management.
- Get support for placing course material online.
- The Library offers information about copyright and instruction.
- Gain access to millions of digitized scholarly books through the HathiTrust Digital Library (log in through the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign). Via the HathiTrust Research Center portal you can perform text mining on the entire HathiTrust collection. Also, did you know that students with print disabilities can request items from HathiTrust reformatted for their use? The Library is a HathiTrust partner and part of an international community of research libraries committed to the long-term curation and availability of the cultural record.
- Teaching an online or off-campus course? Learn about how to access books and articles and other resources and services available to distance learners and instructors.
- Find Open Educational Resources (OER). Our guide provides a basic understanding of OER, including how to find, evaluate, use, and adapt OER materials for your own curriculum.
- Just ask! Utilize the Library’s Ask a Librarian chat service from an office computer or mobile device. The service is even available for you and your students until midnight five nights a week as well as on weekends.
For additional information specifically for instructors, visit www.library.illinois.edu/ask-us/information-for-instructors/.