GROUP FITNESS NEWS | ISSUE #11
We believe physical activity and exercise are vital to the well-being of every person. Here in Campus Recreation, we are actively working on virtual opportunities which will allow our #ActiveILLINI to access the resources they need to thrive in the classroom and in life. We encourage you to reach out to us if you have thoughts on how to help the Campus Rec community stay connected or ideas for resources we can provide during this time.
WEEKLY WELLNESS: STAYING SAFE AND CONNECTED
Speaking and feeling heard and understood by others is critical to our emotional well-being. Facial coverings and masks can make it difficult for some people to communicate. People who are deaf or hard of hearing and rely on facial cues may not understand you when your face is covered. If you cover your face to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, be aware that you may inadvertently create a situation where another person may no longer understand you.
Here are some tips for communicating when using face coverings and masks:
- If you are with someone who doesn't seem to understand you, consider that they may be missing important cues to communicate.
- If you cannot temporarily remove your face covering to communicate, try writing or typing on a smartphone.
- Practice active listening and repeat back, summarizing, what you have heard to confirm that you understand.
- If there is space and it is safe, remove your mask while talking on conference calls or video chats.
- If you or someone in your life struggles to understand people wearing facial coverings, consider creating a written script before leaving the house or programming information into a text-to-speak smartphone app.
Resource: Learn more about how face masks affect our communication
VIRTUAL GROUP FITNESS SCHEDULE: SUMMER SESSION II
In order to continue to serve the Campus Recreation community, our group fitness instructors are offering live virtual group fitness classes and meet-ups throughout the week. These virtual workouts will be streamed via Zoom (click here to learn more about using Zoom) and offer a great way to add some exercise, routine, and social interaction to your day!
View this week's virtual class schedule: June 15 - 19
The Mayo Clinic recommends incorporating the following five elements into your regular exercise routine: aerobic activity, strength training, core exercises, balance training, and flexibility/stretching. The workout plan included below incorporates a variety of formats that will allow you to meet these goals. Just pick the combination of workouts that work for you!
View this week’s workout plan
MUSIC TO MOTIVATE YOUR WORKOUT
A QUICK BITE FROM THE INSTRUCTIONAL KITCHEN
Rainbow Veggie Skewers
Outdoors > Indoors, at least during these warm months. Which means that my grill and I have been spending lots of time together lately. Feel free to add summer steak, shrimp, chicken or tofu to this weeks, Rainbow Veggie Skewers!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Vegetable Ingredients: (approximate; feel free to make substitutions and add protein source of choice)
- 16 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 orange bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 yellow squash, halved and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 zucchini, halved and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 purple potatoes, halved
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Then add the halved purple potatoes and boil for 10 minutes or until fork tender, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Add the purple potatoes and remaining vegetables to a large bowl, and toss with the vinaigrette until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or up to 8 hours. If you are using wooden skewers, be sure to also soak them in water before grilling.
- When you are ready to cook the vegetables, heat your grill to medium heat. Thread the vegetables onto skewers, in rainbow order if desired. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired. Then place the skewers on an oiled grill and cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Remove and serve immediately. Enjoy!
INTRAMURAL TRICK SHOT CHALLENGE
Create and submit your own trick shot video for your chance to win our grand prize! Video submissions will be accepted June 1st – 30th. You can submit your video HERE. Campus Rec Professional & Intramural Staff will choose the top 32 videos to be entered into our final bracket. During the month of July, the top videos will go head-to-head in a vote on Illinois Campus Recreation’s Instagram Story. The winner of each match up will advance to the next round for a chance to win! A grand prize winner will be crowned on July 31st!
Creativity is key! Use your imagination… Nothing is off limits? Want to throw a basketball over the house? No problem. Kicking a pencil into a soda can? Yep, that works too. Rolling a grape down a slide into your little brother’s mouth? Definitely counts. Remember, the most votes each round will advance so make a shot for the people!
Be sure to follow the guidelines below when creating your video. Any video submission without the following will be omitted.
- All current ARC members (current students and paying faculty/staff) are eligible for this competition.
- Be safe! Practice social distancing to protect yourself and others. Here are the CDC Guidelines on how to keep yourself safe from COVID-19.
- Before your shot, you must say “Go Illini!” Any submission without the shooter saying this key phrase will not qualify.
- Follow Illinois Campus Recreation on Instagram HERE. We’ll tag you when your video is matched up against another!
- The video must be less than 30 seconds long and recorded vertically. Please do not record with your phone sideways, horizontal, or “hamburger” style.
SUBMIT YOUR VIDEOS HERE!
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out on our social media or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.