From the Desk of the President
I hope you’re all enjoying the last hurrah of summer. The leaves have started turning a little, and that lets us know the holidays are right around the corner. Yes, I saw Christmas displays in a store the other day and freaked out a bit! But before we get too far ahead of ourselves we should take some time to enjoy football, campfires, and the start of soup season! In that spirit, I’d like to share one of my favorite simple soup recipes. If you have a recipe to share, please send them to me and I’ll create a Box file where everyone can access all the yummy ideas.
I’d like to thank Tammy Ziegler for her informative talk on TEM (and the perils of navigating it!). A big thank you to the Programs and Events committee for a great Career Connections luncheon. You guys do an excellent job each month!
I look forward to hearing the nominations for Boss of the Year. Please take a moment to nominate a special supervisor and promote your department! Nomination packets can be found at Boss of the Year form.
Until next time, please enjoy the soup!
Easy Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large can V-8 juice
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 quart beef stock
- 2-3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper (or more to taste)
- Tsp salt
- Whatever vegetables as you like (mine tends to be almost a “kitchen sink” type of veggie soup!)
- ½ cup quick cooking barley
- Brown ground beef in large stock pot. Drain excess grease.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Stir to mix.
- Cook at medium heat for about 1 hour.
Career Connections Calendar
|Tammy Ziegler from Payables spoke in September's meeting|
Boss of the Year
Executive Associate Vice Chancellor for Research, OVCR
Business Operations Coordinator, NCSA.
Wednesday, October 16, 2019
2101 Everitt Labs, 1406 W. Green St., Urbana
Doors open at 11:45 am; Program will begin around 12:10 pm
with every attempt to end by 12:55 pm
Potato Bar by Piato's, cost is $12.00. Please RSVP at https://go.illinois.edu/IAPBOTY2019 by Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
Reservations will NOT be accepted past the deadline date. Cancellations must be received 48 hours before the deadline date or payment will still be required. Please note: Be sure to finish the registration form completely, this assures your lunch ordered correctly.
- Thursday, October 10, 2019
Volunteers needed for Miranda Lambert Concert at 7:00 pm in the State Farm Center. Please contact either Penny Ames at email@example.com or Colleen Hammel at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. It is a great way to support IAP, get to meet fellow members and hear the music.
- Tuesday, October 15, 2019 State Universities Civil Service System Advisory Committee Election. For more information please see: humanresources.illinois.edu/hr-professionals/labor-and-employee-relations/SUCSS_Advisory_Commitee.html
- Thursday, October 17, 2019
All Employee Expo from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm in Illini Union-Rooms A,B, & C. Check out the vendors and collect some freebies. Eastern Illinois University will be there to discuss continuing education.
- Saturday, October 19, 2019
Flo Rida Concert at 8:00 pm in the State Farm Center. Please contact either Penny Ames at email@example.com or Colleen Hammel at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. It is a great way to support IAP, get to meet fellow members and hear the music.
Birthdays and Anniversaries
- 4-Jill Odom
- 22-Erin Farrar
- 25-Sarah Adams
- 30-Selena Douglass and Lisa Leininger
- Lisa Leininger – 5 years
- Brenda Deaville – 19 years