LIBRARY TIP OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER
If you teach at Illinois, the Library is here to help.
With two core resources—a wealth of information and the experts to help you mine it—your teaching experience can be greatly enhanced. Our librarians stand ready to help you identify materials, create course and subject guides, and partner with you in how to best use library materials in your classroom.
What can the Library do?
- Improve your students’ research skills and ability to critically evaluate sources. With expertise ranging from accounting to zoology, we can help develop library guides, design and test library research assignments, or teach a session within your course. Contact a subject specialist librarian or email email@example.com to identify the right librarian for you.
- Provide a Savvy Research Workshop session for your class, research group, or faculty meeting. Students can also sign up for regularly-scheduled sessions on advanced topics such as citation management, digital publishing, or data management.
- Assist you in placing course material online.
- Inform you on copyright and instruction issues.
- Help you navigate the HathiTrust Digital Library, comprising millions of digitized scholarly books and a Research Center portal perfect for text mining. In addition, the HathiTrust provides reformatted items (upon request) for students with print disabilities.
- Teach you how to access materials and services for distance learners and instructors.
- Provide a handy guide for Open Educational Resources (OER) to find, evaluate, use, and adapt OER materials for your curriculum.
- Reply to any query via our Ask a Librarian chat service, accessible to you and your students via office computer or mobile device.
What can you do?