4-H Newsletter November 2019
12 Ag Career Night @Ford-Iroquois Farm Bureau, 5-8pm
18 4-H International Night, Champaign Extension office, 6-7:30 pm
28-29 Office closed for Thanksgiving holiday
24-31 Office closed for holidays
1 Office closed for holidays
15 Deadline for beef project enrollment (for showing at the fair)
4-H is not only the largest youth development program in the United States. It is also in 60 countries around the world! Through this network, Illinois 4-H offers youth and their families an opportunity to think globally, grow in their cultural awareness, and gain knowledge about the world through international exchange programs that include both hosting and travelling abroad. These are coordinated in partnership with the States’ 4-H International Exchange Program which works with Cooperative Extension programs across the nation. https://www.states4hexchange.org/.
Visit exciting new places as part of the 2020 States’ 4-H International Exchange program. Check out this line-up:
- Costa Rica: June 18 – July 17. Cost $1,775 (plus airfare $800 to $1,300). Ages: 15 – 18.
- Japan: July 8 – August 6. Cost $2,725 (plus airfare $1,700 to $2,600). Ages: 12 – 18.
- Japan: June 18 – August 6. Cost $3,875 (plus airfare $1,700 to $2,600). Ages: 12 – 18.
- Norway: June 24 – July 24. Cost $2.200 (plus airfare $1,300 to $2,000). Ages 15 – 18.
- South Korea: July 15 – August 13. Cost $2,430 (plus airfare $1,300 to $2,300). Ages 12 – 18.
- Taiwan: June 28 – July 28. Cost $2,200 (plus airfare $1,300 to $2,300). Ages 12 – 18.
- Romania: June 24 – July 24. Cost $1,775 (plus airfare $1,300 to $2,000). Ages 15 – 18.
The first deposit and application are due December 1. Second deposit is due February 1. For more information, check out their website @ states4hexchange.org/.
Champaign County 4-H International Night
If you have gone to our county 4-H website lately you'll have noticed its new look. Please be patient as it is a work in progress and we continue to update it. If you haven't checked it out yet, take a look!
The State 4-H page also continues to have many great resources for members, families, and leaders - check them out at https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/
The Illinois 4-H Website has all of the resources and forms needed to guide 4-H club officers, committees, and members as they plan for the new 4-H program year.
- Go to illinois.edu/IL4H
- Click on the Clubs
- Scroll to Meeting Resources near the bottom of the page
- Find these helpful documents:
- Club Meeting Agenda – this fillable form is a useful fill-in-the-blank form your club officers can use as they plan each section of the meeting. This useful from provides them with the meeting structure they can use to identify who from the club should be in charge of each potential item that may be included in a meeting.
- Club Committee Planning Worksheet – the Committee Planning Worksheet is an excellent tool to give to committee members as they plan club events and activities.
- Club Yearly Program Plan – this helpful tool guides the club officers and club members as they identify club goals to work toward during the year and brainstorm what programs, events and/or activities to plan for the club to engage members in fun, hands-on learning experiences throughout the program year.
- More – Don’t forget to download your new secretary book, treasurer book, tips for good club meetings, tips for using the 4-H name, and more other important resources.
- Teach Outdoor Scholarship
A $500 Scholarship will be awarded to a student who will be a freshman or sophomore in college or trade school during the 2020-2021 school year. Applicants must be a current high school or home school student. Applications are due January 1 and can be downloaded @ http://www.teachoutdoors.org/scholarship.html .
- Joyce Betz Memorial Scholarship
A $1,000 Scholarship will be awarded to a 4-H member who will be a freshman or sophomore in college or trade school during the 2020-2021 school year. Applicants must be a current high school or home school student. Applications are due January 1 and can be downloaded @ http://www.teachoutdoors.org/scholarship.html . Joyce was a 4-H club leader in Will County.
- Farm Credit Illinois Scholarships
High school seniors planning careers in agriculture may apply for a $2,000 scholarship. Farm Credit Illinois will provide 30 scholarships to youth who live or farm in one of the 60 counties in their service area. The first $1,000 will be distributed for the Fall 2019 semester, and the second $1,000 will be applied during the Fall 2021 semester. Apply online at farmcreditIL.com before March 1. Are going to University of Illinois College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences? The college is MATCHING this scholarship, dollar for dollar! Double your money while getting a great ag education!
February 22 & 23 | Effingham, IL
You’ll laugh. You’ll make new friends. You’ll even learn cool ideas to take back to your own 4-H Club at this year’s Illinois 4-H Junior Leadership Conference. The conference is open to 4-H members in 7th and 8th grade. Registration will open in November at go.illinois.edu/4Hjlc. This year’s conference will be held at the Holiday Inn in Effingham!