Uni planning for 100th Anniversary Celebration
Uni is turning 100 on Sept. 21, 2021, and we’re planning a celebration! The focal point of the celebration is the ReUNIon and Gala weekend Oct. 8-9, 2021. Here are some additional updates from the Century Celebration planning committee:
- Uni High Senior Library Specialist Paul Kotheimer shared material from the 75th and 90th anniversary celebrations. He has eight cartons of award-winning publications and media by Uni High alumni, and the committee discussed collecting additional materials to display during the celebration year.
- Uni High History Teacher Andy Wilson worked with students to do a History Harvest - digitizing artifacts brought in by alumni during the recent Gala. Computer Science Teacher Joel Beesley and computer science students are working with Wilson and his students to catalog the History Harvest and make it available online. The History Harvest will continue through 2021.
- Uni High Alumni Association (UHAA) Board President Lis Pollock ’99 is planning to publish a call for submissions on the UHAA Facebook page. The UHAA also plans to develop an alumni directory.
- Several alumni have proposed an Alumni Hall of Fame. Marianne Downey will consult with the tech committee to install an electronic touch screen on the first floor of Uni to display the Hall of Fame. The screen could later be used for other school-related purposes.
Want to join the committee (you can attend meetings remotely) or share an idea? Contact Marianne Downey at email@example.com
Are you in this photo?
An alum submitted this photo of what appears to be Max Beberman and some students. If you're in this photo - or can identify someone who is - please contact Marianne Downey.
Uni's new Mission and Vision statements
As an integral part of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Laboratory High School’s mission is to enhance the lives of young people through innovative learning, discovery, and public engagement.
University of Illinois Laboratory High School will be the pre-eminent public research university high school for highly motivated students with exceptional academic potential. To attain pre-eminence, we will strive toward:
· Excellence in student achievement, broadly construed;
· Impact through transformational curriculum, pedagogy, and research; and
· Leadership in public engagement and citizenship in the local community, state, and beyond.