Currently, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 (coronavirus) on the Urbana campus or in Champaign County. However, the continued spread of the virus both globally and nationally means the situation may change rapidly. The university is monitoring this public health concern and coordinating with the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District (CUPHD). Leadership from F&S regularly participates in this process, serving on both the Infectious Disease Work Group and the Campus Emergency Operations Committee.
Everyone at F&S can help protect the health and safety of the community by following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's everyday preventive actions for the spread of viral diseases, including flu and COVID-19.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
We want to make following these precautions as easy as possible for everyone across the organization. Therefore, we will be supplying additional hand sanitizer, tissues, gloves, and disinfectant wipes.
As new information emerges, we will provide updates through F&S communication methods. We also encourage you to visit covid19.illinois.edu for resources and answers to frequently asked questions about this illness.
Thank you for your help.
Dr. Mohamed Attalla, MBA, P.Eng.
Executive Director, Facilities & Services