While there are no confirmed cases of the COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) in Champaign County, the disease is still spreading both globally and nationally. The university is continuing to monitor the situation and is taking proactive steps aimed at protecting the safety and health of the entire campus community.
Facilities & Services’ Building Service Workers (BSWs) are performing the following activities to help reduce possible exposure to flu, COVID-19, and other viruses on campus:
- Wearing disposable gloves while engaged in cleaning services
- Disinfecting high-touch surfaces (e.g., tables, doorknobs, light switches, handrails, desks) in public areas, such as classrooms, restrooms, hallways, stairs, and conference rooms, during overnight hours when building occupancy is low
- Transitioning from routine cleaning to disinfecting activities twice daily: approximately between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. and again between 2:30 and 4:30 p.m.
The cleaning of any visibly dirty surfaces will remain emphasized as part of the continued response to this emerging public health concern, followed by disinfection as a best practice measure for the prevention of COVID-19 and other viral respiratory illnesses. For custodial questions, please contact the F&S Service Office firstname.lastname@example.org, 333-0340.
Everyone on campus can help take precautionary measures by following the everyday preventive actions for limiting the transmission of viral diseases recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Links to this information, other resources, and answers to frequently asked questions about the COVID-19 illness are available at http://covid19.illinois.edu.
Dr. Mohamed Attalla, MBA, P.Eng.
Executive Director, Facilities & Services