Dear Chemistry Community,
Welcome to the new academic year.
Illinois Chemistry strives to create a research and teaching environment that values human dignity. It embraces the idea that all individuals are scientists who should bring their whole selves to science. We recognize that every person has a cultural background that informs their passion for science, and that background needs to be accepted, accommodated, and intentionally included.
The Department's Climate Committee put together recommendations for Community Values and Expectations (below) to ensure that our program culture meets the highest standard of professionalism and is one in which all members feel welcome and respected.
As you begin the fall semester, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with these departmental expectations.
Respect and support department members:
- Refrain from all forms of harassment including sexual harassment [report sexual harassment]
- Be courteous in your interactions
- Respect the professional, physical, and personal boundaries of colleagues
- Give colleagues a chance to voice their thoughts
- Challenge your assumptions about people and the sources of those assumptions
- Work to ensure that all colleagues have equal access to opportunities
- Ensure that, when offered, feedback is constructive and creates a positive discussion
- Refrain from judging, bullying, discriminating, or making unwelcome jokes or disparaging remarks
- Support those who report violations of departmental or university policy
- Any form of retaliation is unacceptable
Take initiative and commit to transparency:
- Be receptive to discussing ways to improve the work environment and relationships
- Intervene when others are exhibiting conduct unbecoming of a community member
- Speak up when colleagues are disrespectful of a group or class of people (even when members of that group are not present)
- Seek opportunities for education/training on diversity, inclusivity, reporting, and bystander intervention techniques, and encourage others to do the same
- Acquaint yourself with university policy on sexual misconduct and codes of conduct https://wecare.illinois.edu
We invite you to embrace and actively live out these values, both in this community and in all of your professional endeavors. If you witness any behavior that is inconsistent with our Community Values and Expectations, please notify the department here: go.illinois.edu/CHEMREPORT.
Warmest wishes for a safe academic year,
Prof. Catherine J. Murphy
Larry R. Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry and Department Head
Lloyd Munjanja, Ph.D
Associate Director of Graduate Diversity and Program Climate