The Division of Research Safety has been planning for a safe return to campus, in coordination with the Research & Scholarship Return Team appointed by the Chancellor, and with input from colleges, departments, and laboratories across campus.
In order to assist with your return to onsite research when the Governor's directive allows and your unit approves, all PIs and/or lab managers will be required to put COVID-19 safety measures (SOPs) in place.
As a PI or lab manager (whether your research operations have been affected by the stay-at-home order or you have been performing essential research on campus) you should now:
- Be sure your laboratory safety measures include all necessary parts. Use this Laboratory Ramp-Up checklist, or an equivalent checklist if already provided by your unit, to determine if your planning is complete.
- Write your COVID-19 Safety SOPs and incorporate them into your Laboratory Safety Plan. You may use this COVID-19 Lab Safety Measures template to help create your SOPs.
- Be sure that all your returning personnel have:
- Taken the COVID-19 Safety training provided by DRS
- Read and acknowledged your COVID-19 Safety SOPs.
After completing these steps, you should inform your Department Head using this Online Verification. This verification confirms that your COVID-19 Safety SOPs are in place. You should complete this step even if you have been previously approved to conduct essential research on campus.
Please visit the COVID-19 Campus Safety webpage for additional information, and do not hesitate to contact DRS if you have questions.
Thank you for implementing these important safety measures as we transition back to on-campus research activities.
Division of Research Safety
Associate Vice Chancellor for Research
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation