LIBRARY TIP OF THE MONTH - FEBRUARY
An Introduction to Illinois Experts
The Illinois Experts web portal (experts.illinois.edu) showcases the depth and breadth of research and scholarship expertise on the Urbana-Champaign campus. Originating as a joint project between the University Library and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research & Innovation (OVCRI), the site is intended to foster collaboration across disciplines and facilitate the discovery of—and access to—the latest advancements in cutting-edge research taking place at Illinois.
What can be found on the Illinois Experts portal?
- Nearly 3,000 Illinois researcher and scholar profiles, including all tenure-system faculty and hundreds of specialized and emeriti faculty and academic professional researchers
- Citations for more than 180,000 publications—including 3,700 books; 7,600 chapters; 25,000 conference papers; and 120,000 journal articles
- Dataset records, patents info, and other information about campus research activity
How do I obtain and access my profile?
- For tenure-system faculty: Your profile is likely available on the portal now! (Profiles are created soon after appointments are recorded in the Banner HR system.)
- For specialized or emeriti faculty or academic professional researchers: Your home college or institute may request your profile by contacting Illinois Experts staff.
- To update your profile: Log in by clicking the “Edit your profile” button on the portal’s main page or via this link to add a photo, name variants, research interests, links to other profiles or social media, and more to your profile.
What are some advantages of Illinois Experts?
- Experts reduces the need for burdensome manual profile updates by automating connections to as many authoritative sources of campus research data activity as possible, including the Banner HR system, the Scopus abstract and citation database, and the Illinois Data Bank.
- Unit websites, the ORCID registry, and other systems can be authorized to retrieve the curated research activity data stored in Experts—reducing the need to re-enter that information into multiple profiles.
- With over 40,000 visitors to the portal each month, an Experts profile can be a valuable addition to a researcher’s promotional toolkit—make sure you’ve added links to your other professional profiles or social media accounts!
What is the site’s broader purpose?
- To foster scholarship, discovery, and innovation
- To create a centralized, easily-accessible portal for both on-campus and external audiences, including potential collaborators and research sponsors
- To raise corporate partners’ and private citizens’ awareness of our expertise, thereby supporting the economic development mission of the campus
How can I learn more about Illinois Experts?