Astronomy Open House on April 23, 2016
You are cordially invited to an Open House hosted by the Department of Astronomy at the University of Illinois!
- Place: Campus Observatory (map and directions)
- Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016
- Times: Drop by anytime from 1pm to 5pm, and from 8pm to 10pm.
- All are welcome, and there is no cost to attend
Faculty and students will be on hand. We will share the excitement of the latest department research and teaching innovations. Topics will include:
- cosmology--the birth of the universe
- black holes and gravitational waves
- galaxies across space and time
- the birth of stars
- supernova explosions
There will be regular tours of the dome and our historic Brashear telescope. Weather permitting, we will observe the sun during the 1pm to 5pm session, and the stars from 8pm to 10pm.
This event is kid-friendly, and will feature live demonstrations as well as beautiful images from Hubble and other telescopes.
We hope to see you there! Do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or would like more information.
Brian Fields, Professor and Chair of Astronomy